View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:45 pm

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
Franks for Saga project, the Second 
Private First Class

Hullo! I'm currently doing another warband for Saga. After my own Anglo-Saxons...

...a rather large Vikings warband...

...and some Franks...

...I'm doing another Franks warband!

This time it's four horse-mounted veterans units with javelins, two units of warriors on foot, a warlord (of course), a troubadour and a priest. The funny thing is that opposed to the other Franks warband I did (for which the order was "all plastic and shield decals!"), the orders for this one is "all metal and freehand shields and banner!". :D No two projects ever are the same. That's one of the things I learned over the years.

Here are the first WIP shots of the horses (Franks do love their horses) and some shields:

Over the past week I got to do much less work than I had hoped I'd get done. Computer problems in the family, and I'm the go-to guy for that. Not that I'm any good with computers. :D

Anyway, here are the four units of Veterans on horse. Still WIP (unfortunately):

Hope you like the horsemen so far. They're not quite done yet. In fact there's still a LOT of detailwork to do. Oh well, I guess I get back to work now. C&C welcome!

Thu Feb 25, 2016 10:41 pm
Private First Class

Roight, the horsemen are finished now (except for basing obviously):

Hope you like them. :) Currently I'm working on the warlord base and the two units of warriors.

Sat Feb 27, 2016 6:14 pm
Private First Class

Good evening, Ladies and Sirs. As I said, basing will be done for the whole warband once they're all finished. At least the horsemen are done now, so I proceeded to the Warlord's base:

...and here two units of warriors on foot:

I'd say the Warlord's about 70% finished, same as the warriors (well, more like 60%). The troubadour ...well, he's primed, but his horse is done. Let's not get into the state of the priests base for now.

Sun Feb 28, 2016 9:34 pm
Private

Superb! Really a treat for the eyes. I hope they fight as well as they look!

http://twincitiesfieldofglory.blogspot.com/

Mon Feb 29, 2016 12:24 am
Profile WWW
Private First Class

@helot2000: Thanks very much! Well, I'm sure they'll fight mighty fine. They're painted after all. :D

Alright, warriors on foot are finished, warlord and his pal as well (all they still need is their banner). Only the priests and the troubadour left to do. New pictures to follow later tonight!

Mon Feb 29, 2016 6:52 pm
Private First Class

Okay, photos!

Yeah, I based the minis I got finished by now as well, just to have that off the list too.

Mon Feb 29, 2016 9:27 pm
Private First Class

ha-HA!! Didn't expect me to turn up again, did you? ;)

I did some more a-painting and it seems like the priests base is well on its way:

:) Expect to finish it tomorrow, after that it's just the troubadour and the warlord's banner left.

Tue Mar 01, 2016 1:07 am
Private First Class

Yup, that's finished now too:

..and here's a Troubadour a-singin':

That's all concerning the painting of minis now. :) All that's left to do is the warlord's banner.

Tue Mar 01, 2016 1:02 pm
Technical Sergeant

The religious figures are what make?

Dude your stuff is too awesome.

Tue Mar 01, 2016 5:17 pm
Profile WWW
Private First Class

Many thanks! The priestly delegation or what they are are from a four figures set by the Perrys. So it's top notch stuff.

Wed Mar 02, 2016 8:41 pm
Private

Once again, beautiful minis! I think any of us would love to play with or against those models, just so we could see them up close. :)

Two comments I would make on your paintjobs, and it is just a personal preference and would in no way change any rating I would give them, is that I like to see a bit more variety in the color of horses; even if they are all still brown, different shades of brown or a gray or black horse mixed in also. The second thing I would recommend is that I see you have given some of the horses a nice blaze on their forehead/nose area, but unless my eyes deceive me, I see not a single horse with white stockings; that could be an opportunity for a little more variety in the horses.

I look forward to seeing more beautiful models come from your painting table! Oh, and if you ever need a place to store some of those beautifully painted models, just let me know. :)

Tue Mar 08, 2016 1:16 pm
Staff Sergeant

They all look fantastic!

How did you do the banners on the vikings? Is it decal or paper banner? Painted on highlights?

They are fantastic!

Sun Mar 20, 2016 4:48 am
Private First Class

@Luvdiscgolf: Thanks very much. You're very right on the "socks". Maybe I should have added them, but the customer didn't mind and to be honest, I was quite busy with other things to get done. Maybe some socks should have been thrown in, but I think they look alright enough without. There is some variety in horse colour, maybe it's just not that visible against the dark backgrounds and it blends a bit together with he rather colourfu bits around them. Thanks for the kind comment. :)

@Narcissus: Thank you! The banners on the vikings are decals, straight out of the box. Or bag rather. It's a bit of a shame, as the designs pop up on all armies all the time (especially that raven banner on the vikings, but also the horse I used on the plastic Franks I did pops up in many places - in fact I got that one myself on my Saxons - and The Jesus Banner of course is also a very popular one. Because it's freaking beautiful. :D ).

Hey guys, sorry about that, but I think I forgot posting a picture of the finished warlord!

...and some "army shots":

Hope you like them. :)

Tue Mar 22, 2016 12:21 am
Private

I've just signed up to this forum to say how awesome these are. Well don!

Tue May 17, 2016 9:02 pm
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]