View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:09 pm

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
Making Defend work with an Tank force in v4 
Corporal

Making Defend work with an Tank force.

Looking at my standard mech/armor sov forces, I may start taking Defend as a jump off to counterattack. This is a major change in my outlook from v3 with my "Always Attack" forces.

One example is a Tank list from DM at this years 1780 pt levels. A typical Sov hammer & anvil fast strike force.

2 large units of T34-76 ( 20 in total )
1 plt (7)Tank Riders w/ 1 PzF
6-82mm mortars
4-57mm Zis2 with M2 HT
4-57mm Zis2 w/ trucks
4 SU-100
Full Razvedki ( 9)with 4 PzF & M3A1

Everything is on wheels or tracks other than the mortars, but taking Defend is still a viable options under V4 with this type of force.

You have to design for attack in every mission and you have to design for Reserves as a major possibility in every game. The above lists makes the issue of Deep Reserves work for you as a tank force. In defense or reserves, this list would tend to place the T34's in Reserve with their Fast Tank and Wide Tracks, which totals a bit more than 40%. This puts everything else on the table. 8 Zis2 and 4 SU-100 will give enough ranged AT to give most armor forces pause, especially if they are back by a favorable table and mine fields. If Defending vs a large inf force, 10 T34's start on the table, if not in ambush.

This force is happy to take any of the 3 options for Battle Plans, which puts pressure on your opponent for his choice.

Taking Defend under v4 does not mean that you are not Attacking.

Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:20 pm
Sergeant

Sorry Ed,

But you're supposed to charge across the table guns ablazing just like the infantry.

This is Ver 4 after all. ;)

Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:22 pm
Captain

I'm pretty sure infantry charging across the table with guns blazing is not what generally leads to success for infantry in V4. You'll have to play smarter than that if you want to do well in a tournament.

Ed...where is your HQ?

One thing to keep in mind about defending in V4, is that you only have to be prepared to switch over to the offensive if you have an attacking opponent that is clearly going for the draw instead of a win. If your opponent is truly putting full effort into attacking to win you will be fine pretty much defending as you always did. The exception being when the attackers have lost their steam and can't push anymore but still can keep units within 8" of an objective. Then you'll have to police them up unless you want to settle for a draw. The key thing here to remember in V4 is in general it might be foolish to think you must immediately go on the offensive when you are the defender in a mission.

Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:49 pm
Profile WWW
Sergeant

Iron-Tom wrote:
I'm pretty sure infantry charging across the table with guns blazing is not what generally leads to success for infantry in V4. You'll have to play smarter than that if you want to do well in a tournament.

Ed told me at the FOW tourney in LA that he likes V4 because it makes infantry come out of their foxholes and attack. ;)

Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:05 pm
Captain

You base your views off of Ed? I love Ed, but if my three infantry opponents who all ended up defending agagainst me in my last tournament had followed that advice, they would have done much much worse. But then, I was not trying to settle for draws as the attacker so they could focus on a true defense knowing I was going to give attacking my all.

Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:43 pm
Profile WWW
Corporal

Troy wrote:
Iron-Tom wrote:

Ed told me at the FOW tourney in LA that he likes V4 because it makes infantry come out of their foxholes and attack. ;)

???? I am pretty sure that is not a complete statement of mine. I tend to like playing against static inf. It is players who use inf aggressively that you have to watchout for.

Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:54 pm
Corporal

Tom

HQ 1 T34
9 T34
10 T34

20 T34 total

Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:57 pm
Captain

Ok. "2 large units of T34-76 ( 20 in total )" = "HQ unit + 2 large units of T34-76 ( 20 in total )"

Now I understand.

Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:18 pm
Profile WWW
Sergeant

EdForbes wrote:
???? I am pretty sure that is not a complete statement of mine. I tend to like playing against static inf. It is players who use inf aggressively that you have to watchout for.

The context was such as:

I had just commented that I didn't like V4 as much as V3, and you indicated you liked it better.

I pointed out that the new artillery rules made it more viable for CT troops to run across the table than stay under an arty template.

But, that was a month or so ago. Our memories of a passing conversation probably aren't accurate on either end. ;)

In either case - CHARGE! Like the Diesel n Dust guys say:

Version 4: the game where you're always attacking, even when defending!

Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:16 pm
Corporal

Troy wrote:
EdForbes wrote:

The context was such as:

I had just commented that I didn't like V4 as much as V3, and you indicated you liked it better.

I pointed out that the new artillery rules made it more viable for CT troops to run across the table than stay under an arty template.

But, that was a month or so ago. Our memories of a passing conversation probably aren't accurate on either end. ;)

In either case - CHARGE! Like the Diesel n Dust guys say:

Version 4: the game where you're always attacking, even when defending!

Gotcha. Change your statement from "must" get out of their foxholes to "allows" and I am right there with you.

I played sov CC inf as my main force under V2 and I was constantly forced into making double moves with double shots against them just to get across the table in time to avoid a timeout when the mission had them attacking. V4 now makes attacking with inf armies viable by removing the double shots for fast movement and increasing the tactical movement rate.

Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:35 pm
Sergeant

I still hate Arty in V4... but, the Gods of War down in New Zealand have decreed otherwise.

V4: the game where you're always attacking, even when defending...

Now, where are my Panthers?

Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:50 pm
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]