View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:07 am

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
75pt US Stuart co 
Corporal

Still no Sov's for MW, so I have had to come up with something for Las Vegas in 2 wks. Have played several German lists and won with them, but I came away with the feeling that it was not so much that I won but the others lost. Not my play style at all.

75pts MW, US Stuart co. List is in, but comments are still very welcome.

List is very simple. Tactics are to Attack or Maneuver with pre-game artillery range-in markers providing aim for smoke screens to cover for the initial 24" dash to close range and reduce options against Ambush. Then mix it up at close range with 12" Tactical supported with 5 templares. Games should be over quick, one way or another. Too many brittle units bleeding pts to be a tourny winner, but should make for some fast and exciting games.

3 cmds, 31 Stuarts, 6 Armored Mortar, 9 T-30 AG.

1st US Stuart Co
HQ 2 Stuarts...............4
4 Stuart.......................8
3 Armored Mortar.......2
3 T30..........................3
Total ..........................25

2nd US Stuart Co
3 Armored Mortar.......2
3 T30..........................3

3rd US Stuart Co
5 Stuart.......................10
3 T30...........................3

Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:46 am
First Sergeant

Do you have enough firepower to deal with infantry that are dug-in?

Are the Stuarts .30 caliber AAMG numerous enough to shoot down aircraft?

Is the T30 AT high enough to destroy Tigers?

Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:27 pm
Corporal

SECfootball wrote:
Do you have enough firepower to deal with infantry that are dug-in?

Are the Stuarts .30 caliber AAMG numerous enough to shoot down aircraft?

Is the T30 AT high enough to destroy Tigers?

5 templates w/ 4+ FP should dig out inf with inf re-roll of saves. Brits, Germans, and US leg inf have very limited personal AT and US inf have 3+ to hit which should strip out their Baz. Once the inf personal AT is reduced, then inf is very vulnerable to tank assault.

AA is useless vs air anyway with air having a 3+ save and air is not very effective vs armor, so not much of a consideration for me.

The T-30 has a AT of 6, so no. If facing a Tiger, I ignore the Tiger and swarm everything else. Not much different from playing Sov armor vs German heay armor.

Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:22 pm
First Sergeant

EdForbes wrote:
If facing a Tiger, I ignore the Tiger and swarm everything else.

Yep won't be a lot to swarm , if someone spends 29 pts out of 75 pts on 1 tank . ;)

LES

Thu Nov 02, 2017 6:06 pm
Captain

I've played in four MW tournaments so far. Have not seen a single Tiger in any! I've played against MW forces with Tigers twice, they lost badly both times.

Except for Historicon, I've not seen a 17/25pdr at a MW tournament. Lack of Tigers means no real need tor 17/25pdrs at competition.

M10's I've seen in both MW events I attended after release of the new US MW book. I think these are taken more for the long range and high firepower than for worry about Tigers.

Don't discount the US AAMGs. I lost both Hurricanes in the first round of my last tournament do to 50 cals and 30 cals from just two units. Throw enough dice and it will eventually happen! But yes, no need for dedicated AAA, especially for the US.

The danger in running this list is how missions and attacker/defender are determined. If you ended up as defender with Deep reserves it's an instant loss.

Do US Stuarts give "Spearhead?" If not I'd want to add a scout section.

I assume the Mortars are core choices what about the T30's? If they are not, formation last stands could come up earlier than wanted.

The smoke/rush tactic is good, but then you'll have to re-range in on other targets later. I've see US players struggle with that from things that aren't their better trained artillery. Would an FO help here?

Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:09 pm
Profile WWW
Corporal

"The danger in running this list is how missions and attacker/defender are determined. If you ended up as defender with Deep reserves it's an instant loss."

Bridgehead is the only mission this comes up I think. Take attack on battle plans and it is not an option. Bridgehead is not an option if rolling random missions.

As long as the TO is using one of these 2 stadard way of picking a mission, deep reserves are not an issue.

Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:49 pm
Corporal

Iron-Tom wrote:

Do US Stuarts give "Spearhead?" If not I'd want to add a scout section.
[ I have not found spearhead to be that usefull. it can "sometimes" work, but not enough times to be a "must take" for me. As most missions have reserves, these light units tend to be the first ones put into reserve for me. ]

I assume the Mortars are core choices what about the T30's? If they are not, formation last stands could come up earlier than wanted.
[ the T-30 give both smoke and 3+ direct fire FP, plus they have 50cal where the mortars only have 30cal. Formation last stand is hard to do. With this many Stuarts rushing in, the mortars/T-30 in the rear are pretty low on the treat index. ]

The smoke/rush tactic is good, but then you'll have to re-range in on other targets later. I've see US players struggle with that from things that aren't their better trained artillery. Would an FO help here?
[ an FO is not an option for other than heavy Artillery. With 5 templates, that is a lot of range-in dice. ]

Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:00 pm
Corporal

Played a couple of games now with/against US Stuarts. Went about as expected. 4/3's are going to be the norm, but they are a blast to play.

Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:14 pm
Corporal

Ok, 5 games at LV at 100pts. The above list + 5 basic Lee's

3-3; 8-1, 3-3, 8-1, 3-6. Did better than I expected.

One big takeaway for me was placing the pre-game spotting rds. I now no longer place them on the objective to help taking it. I place them where I do not want his gun teams to be placed. Think area deninal like is done for minefields. The 5 cheep templates goes a long way shutting down lists with lots of gun teams by forcing them back off the start line and out of their range to hurt you. You can hold off your push for quick several turns to re-spot and work on the gun teams with the artillery before commiting.

Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:54 am
Captain

I'm glad you got to run them, but I'm not surprised by the results. Not an overwhelming force, but I hope you had fun!

Occasionally I'll place my pre-plot artillery targets as a deception trying to make my opponent think I'm headed in a different direction.

Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:58 am
Profile WWW
Corporal

Iron-Tom wrote:
I'm glad you got to run them, but I'm not surprised by the results. Not an overwhelming force, but I hope you had fun!

Occasionally I'll place my pre-plot artillery targets as a deception trying to make my opponent think I'm headed in a different direction.

It was fun to play and I will be taking it again.

I need to learn to use artillery better and this is a good force to do it with.
One of the 3-3 draws could have been 6-3 win if I had played my artillery pre-range makers forward and the other 3-3 win was on track for a 6-3 win if I speed my play up a bit. Ran out of time before I could close the deal. The 3-6 loss was against a force, board, and mission that I was looking for the 3 points to start.

Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:04 pm
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]