View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:18 pm

Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ] 
Forces updated-DM sov transports not PF 
Corporal

Forces has been updated and now have Sov art tractors from DM with 50cal updated to show that they are not passenger fired. Forces now match the book.

The art loses Crash Action and gains armed and armored transports that stay, and fight, on the table after unloading.

M3A1 armoured tractor Jeep 1 0 0
M3A1 armoured tractor with .50 cal AA MG Jeep 1 0 0 .50 cal AA MG.
ARMOURED PERSONNEL CARRIERS
M2 or M3 half-tracks with .50 cal AA MG Half-tracked 1 0 0 .50 cal AA MG.
M3A1 armoured transporter with .50 cal AA MG Jeep 1 0

Tue Mar 28, 2017 6:16 am
Captain

Aren't we supposed to be getting a Berlin Compilation soon? If so that would outdate DM, so this might be very short lived if not carried over into the Compilation.

It might be a moot point also if TOs don't run events that include LW Soviets due to the Shturmovicks to begin with.

Really I can't see any logic behind the DM entries unless "passenger fired" is being removed from all transports in the game. But maybe you'll get some use out of it at somebody's event!

Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:42 am
Profile WWW
Corporal

Tom
They should be changed to PF. If it is not brought up, it will go under the radar and may be missed when they do the Berlin comp.

Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:24 pm
Captain

You are doing the right thing by noting it and getting some greater visibility on it.

I wonder if we are still getting a V3 Berlin Compilation. It seems weird given that V4 has been released. I know Pete S. said it was coming, but I don't see it on the radar for upcoming releases and wonder if BF scrubbed the project? Honestly I'm not planning to buy it anyway and expect many others are not only done with V3 but are done buying V3 focused books.

Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:31 pm
Profile WWW
Sergeant

Certainly that Berlin "V3" compilation seems an oddball at this point... but BF staff will nevertheless keep speaking of this projects even if they arent actually in the schedule.

In a ruleset where you can only get a single dedicated observer for your hole army but all HQ teams (including panzerchreck crews or unarmed pioneers) gain the observer ability even if the commander dies, where the main tactical use of carriers is to block the moment of enemy Tigers, and where you can kill/block enemy reserves arrival... that some soviet artillery batalions get their armored transporters turned into "free" light tank units is probably something minor, my bet is that this glitch will remain in place for long months if not years.

Tue Mar 28, 2017 4:53 pm
Captain

Man SP....you just can't seem let a post go without piling on yet more angst about V4! I hope that's cathartic for you! :)

But yeah...my "policy" has been to buy all FoW books previously. I'm not sure that I will bother with the "Berlin Compilation." Its dead in the water as I see it. Maybe I'll get it on Forces but it has no business on my bookshelf.

Tue Mar 28, 2017 5:13 pm
Profile WWW
First Sergeant

Okay... not sure this is minor or not...

For the same price, I now get a platoon of 12 WSC (jeep rated) that have 36 .50cal shots? And now they don't have to leave the battlefield? Wow...

Not sure if the following should be a different thread or not, but LW and EW do feel like after-thoughts with respect to V4. This isn't just about the lack of point adjustments. It also has to do with the whole "would you release a v3 book in LW now?" type of comment / question.

Tue Mar 28, 2017 6:51 pm
Profile WWW
Captain

Seems like a good place to me.....

Maybe BF should have just scrapped all of "V4 EW/LW" and roll them in to V4 when ready. Yes that means we'd be playing two versions of the game (for those that choose to). I do like most of V4 changes, but it's not worth the hassle if its going to be nothing but gnashing of teeth about balance issues for the next 5 years.

BTW, NASHCON just got announced as V4 LW. So I'm thinking I'll show up with a broke Soviet V4 list to help build the level of wailing. I'm guaranteed to win right? ;)

Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:02 pm
Profile WWW
Private

Quote:
Not sure if the following should be a different thread or not, but LW and EW do feel like after-thoughts with respect to V4.

I'm forced to agree. Much as I am personally an advocate for the V4 Conversion game to replace V3 it is evident that much of the conversion was not "thought through" or even play-tested, given the nature of the responses (and lack of responses) Phil and Wayne have been giving on the BF forum about V4 questions.

However, I'm hoping that the egregious imbalances, oversights and mistakes will be eventually addressed and corrected. Constantly bringing them up in the forums seems to be the only way forwards.

Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:59 pm
Captain

But do bring them up on the BF forums! I don't think they'll get the right visibility here. It's fine to talk issues here, but we are just talking to each other. None of us get much of a vote here.

Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:36 pm
Profile WWW
First Sergeant

I am not even sure they play tested v4 MW enough. Core mechanic of the game is assaults and Phil has still not answered (he's "considering" the implications) if you can do the buttocks of death with transports!

Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:05 pm
Sergeant

Well I may show «angst» about V4, but this feeling is far from unjustified, since all the following posts go in the same direction.

Even considering V4 in isolation, its going to take some considerable time to make V4 work smoothly in all the wwii eras.

Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:18 am
Captain

All of the following post?

Feel free to feel! If anybody feels that they absolutely have to lay on the negatives every single time they post, by all means have at it! If it is going to take a long time to straighten out V4 to their personal satisfaction, they may have years of harping ahead of them. If that does something for them, I'm glad. But I'll say "pace yourself brother it's going to be a long haul!"

Personally if I had that much angst, I'd not put the effort into thousands upon thousands of negative posts over the several years it's going to take to equal that considerable time to make V4 work to my satisfaction in all WWII eras. I'd just check out till V5 and see if that works better for me. In the mean time, I'd spend my valuable time and energy on more positive efforts elsewhere.  But if griping about the game is more entertaining than playing the game, I suppose some may find value in that.

I don't see the community or BF going back wholesale to V3. I don't see V5 rolling out for the next half decade at least. In the interim, V4 will be FoW for the majority. It might be time for folks to make their peace with that or ask themselves why they even want to interact with the FoW community until the significant changes they desire materialize in V5...or not.

Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:47 am
Profile WWW
Sergeant

Take it easy Tom... apart from pointing out some of the many shortcommings of the half-backed and rushed V4, so that the community can have a better understanding of the game they are currently offered, I indeed use my time on more positive enterprises.

Certainly the internet tends to make my comments more polemic that they are intended.

Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:40 pm
Captain

Soviet Pride wrote:
Certainly the internet tends to make my comments more polemic that they are intended.

Indeed, they make it look like you are suffering from a lot of butt hurt. If so, that's just fine. Share that hurt all you want. I'm just wondering if it will be worth your time and effort.

Are you playing V4 post play testing? Just curious if your previous playtest experiences are all you're going to have with V4.

Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:05 pm
Profile WWW
Sergeant

Eventually I will take some V4 games I suppose, but luckily I can still go alone playing my beloved V3 in Leagues and Tournaments in Madrid.

Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:20 pm
Captain

Good to hear that you have lot of V3 goodness ahead of you! Enjoy!

Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:30 pm
Profile WWW
First Sergeant

Phil answered the infantry surrounds tank question - tanks can retreat over enemy infantry if it's the only way out. Seems like the easy mode is block the tank's retreat to the rear with transports and force it to breakoff through a path you leave into a cross check or other assaulting teams. Slow tanks will continue to have difficulty retreating.

I figure v4 will be ready next summer. FAQ and more lists should improve MW. Plenty of things I am not happy about the game, but then that was true in V1-V3 too. Meanwhile, Napoleonics are calling. :)

Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:54 pm
Captain

Ha! Playing Blucher this Sunday! But then I'm playing a full day of V4 and TY on Saturday! My wife will be out of town! :) :) :)

Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:00 pm
Profile WWW
First Sergeant

EdForbes wrote:
Forces has been updated and now have Sov art tractors from DM with 50cal updated to show that they are not passenger fired.

Short lived , as they are now going to be Passenger Fired .

http://www.flamesofwar.com/Default.aspx ... =1#1460976

LES

Thu May 11, 2017 10:07 pm
Captain

As expected. It was always "too good to be true."

Fri May 12, 2017 8:50 pm
Profile WWW
Sergeant

Well Zis-2 and Zis-3, sturmoviks, katiushas and huge units still make Soviets in V4 a very strong force... there wasnt any need to reinforce them ussing an obvious glitch.

Mon May 15, 2017 12:32 pm
Corporal

And were back to Passenger Fired in the new Forces update.

Mon Sep 18, 2017 4:18 pm
Reply to topic   [ 23 posts ]