View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Oct 24, 2017 3:16 am

Reply to topic  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
V4 lists, what do you think you will run? 
First Sergeant

Iron-Tom wrote:
Mark wrote:
Gothmog wrote:
there's got to be a WWII rules set out there that will work well with tournaments, or do we need to build one? :)

Build one. You know enough. Have WWPD host it or Kickstarter it. BTW, we have been playing Grand Battles Napoleon which has a holdover rule from an earlier set (Konig-Krieg) for alternating movement and response testing. Been discussing it with others and something similar would work well for WW2. Already BA has alternating movement, but lacks a real good response test.

I think alternating movement/orders is key. That kind of takes care of Opportunity Fire to some extent.

I also really like BA games just going 6 or 7 turns, with the players not knowing if another turn will occur until the end of the 6th turn.

Off board artillery, and possibly a straight liner ground scale are things I'd consider as well.

Yeah, the response system with alternating movement means no need for GTG to represent OF as your unit conducts it based on a response test in your opponents turns. I would go with off-board artillery too.

Start designing Bill!!!

Fri Feb 03, 2017 1:48 pm
First Sergeant

webgriffin wrote:
Here is what appears to be the main points for consideration / avoidance:

1) Big platoons are much better for the points. ARP for example. Rather than rolling for the break at 6 alive, it is now 2 alive.
2) Guns are better. 3+ save all the time...
3) Transports / mech are better - they don't leave.
4) Fast movers / light tanks are not better, but worse.
5) Standard tanks are fine.
6) Slow tanks are better.

So with that in mind, US and Soviets seem to be a good early bet due to the fact that both can have large infantry platoons (US - ARP and LW Infantry; Soviets - pretty much every platoon is large...). Armor favors the Soviets with large platoons. US is down graded for armor because all the bells and whistles have been reduced - light tanks, Jumbos, Detroit's Finest, Smooth Ride, etc. Combine these and combine the gun changes and Soviets seem to be the early winner.

However... there may be some gems in the rough. Desperate Measures Trained Panzer IVs...

So, what does it mean when I tell you in the DAK lists the Pz Grens are 5 stands. :shock:

Fri Feb 03, 2017 1:49 pm
Private First Class

Mark wrote:
webgriffin wrote:
Here is what appears to be the main points for consideration / avoidance:

1) Big platoons are much better for the points. ARP for example. Rather than rolling for the break at 6 alive, it is now 2 alive.
2) Guns are better. 3+ save all the time...
3) Transports / mech are better - they don't leave.
4) Fast movers / light tanks are not better, but worse.
5) Standard tanks are fine.
6) Slow tanks are better.

So with that in mind, US and Soviets seem to be a good early bet due to the fact that both can have large infantry platoons (US - ARP and LW Infantry; Soviets - pretty much every platoon is large...). Armor favors the Soviets with large platoons. US is down graded for armor because all the bells and whistles have been reduced - light tanks, Jumbos, Detroit's Finest, Smooth Ride, etc. Combine these and combine the gun changes and Soviets seem to be the early winner.

However... there may be some gems in the rough. Desperate Measures Trained Panzer IVs...

So, what does it mean when I tell you in the DAK lists the Pz Grens are 5 stands. :shock:

In V4? What did they drop?

Fri Feb 03, 2017 6:59 pm
First Sergeant

In the "Draft" post from Mitch, the DAK book has Africa Rifle platoon.

4 MG teams + 1 ATR team for 7 points. You can add an HMG for 1 and an 8cm mortar for 2 points. Sorry, not PzGrens. My mistake. :)

Fri Feb 03, 2017 7:01 pm
First Sergeant

Oh, and don't worry about combat attachements, the formation has none that I can see. The formation is 3 infantry platoons (1 optional) and 3 PaK38 platoons (2 optional) and an optional 10/4 AAA platoon. :)

Fri Feb 03, 2017 7:03 pm
Private First Class

Mark wrote:
In the "Draft" post from Mitch, the DAK book has Africa Rifle platoon.

4 MG teams + 1 ATR team for 7 points. You can add an HMG for 1 and an 8cm mortar for 2 points. Sorry, not PzGrens. My mistake. :)

So it does look like they are trying to make the infantry platoons smaller, which is a good thing. But again wont help us in LW for an other 2 or so years :(

Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:35 pm
Captain

What if ultimately under V4 Soviet "Company" are broken up into true platoons as "units." I think I recall podcast #12 mentioning that "Centralized Command" was made redundant in V4. We know that's already been applied to artillery, could it be applied to infantry and armor as well in V4?

Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:44 pm
Profile WWW
First Sergeant

Iron-Tom wrote:
What if ultimately under V4 Soviet "Company" are broken up into true platoons as "units." I think I recall podcast #12 mentioning that "Centralized Command" was made redundant in V4. We know that's already been applied to artillery, could it be applied to infantry and armor as well in V4?

Or they could just drop teams like it looks like they are doing for MW. 7 down to 5, so maybe it will be 30 down to 20 or something.

Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:52 pm
First Sergeant

Iron-Tom wrote:

That would mitigate the issue of Strelk blobs for sure. But then LW will need to wait, unless Pete is ready to discard "3 feet" of books...

Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:00 pm
Profile WWW
Private

Here is my wet dream MW force of course if You can take multiple formations :)

4 Crusader formations of

2x CS + 2x Crusader II / and 3 troops of 2x Crusader II and 1x Crusader III

In total 48 crusader tanks that have 4 smoke or 4+ FP bombardments. That leaves me with 8 points to get 2x25 pdr battery so in total 5 smoke bombardments. Behold the Power of the Crusade.

As the germans can take max 20 tanks without any Smoke bombardment I challenge You to the duel ZE Germans :)

K.

Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:25 pm
First Sergeant

"Here is what appears to be the main points for consideration / avoidance:

4) Fast movers / light tanks are not better, but worse."

Why are they worse?

Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:19 pm
Staff Sergeant

SECfootball wrote:
"Here is what appears to be the main points for consideration / avoidance:

4) Fast movers / light tanks are not better, but worse."

Why are they worse?

This is in particular to LW V4. For Light Tanks, speed is life. They live by their threat range, ie the range that they can project threat with their move combined with range while deployed completely out of LoS to the enemy. It works best when you have multiple angles of attack and at least 3 maneuver elements and at least 1 big stick to keep your opponent off balance.

So by losing out on overall movement and the ability to move at their maximum while still shooting is particularly impactful in a negative way.

I think judicious use of Terrain Dash Speed and DFS / Bombardment Smoke are the keys to their continued use and survival in LW, not sure it will be particularly viable, but if you already have them collected, you might as well bash on!

Sun Feb 26, 2017 4:38 am
Technical Sergeant

German Mechanized Pioneer Kompanie 8-)

Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:31 pm
Private First Class

KWEL-Terrain wrote:
What are you guys thinking of running?

Pretty much the same as in V3 except I am happy that Heavy Mortars have a place now.

Also the cleaner army is good. Removing unit commanders, staff teams, etc had made for a simpler, sleeker army at the expense of historical accuracy. I like that now I just have 4 guns for heavy mortars or 25 pdrs.

So still running my Canadians, just painting a 3rd infantry platoon if I need it.

Mon May 01, 2017 11:16 pm
Private

I wanted to start a british rifle company for some time and with the release of v4 I actually did it.
I took 3 rifle platoons, mortars, 6 pounders and 25 pounders. These together are 975 points (60% of 1625 points, it is what we usually run in my area) for the remaining 650 points I took 6 shermans, 2 fireflurs and 2 crusaders A/A. Comes in handy when playing reserves.
I only played once with them yet against a schwere panzer company. I played a bit too impetoues and lost all my infantry in assaults and my 2 fireflies to eagerly putting them against the tigers. But when they miss, the tiger eats them all too easy ;D.
Got a tournament coming op in june, d-day themed. I will have to play more cautious I think.

Wed May 17, 2017 8:45 am
Reply to topic   [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2