View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon May 29, 2017 9:59 pm

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
Getting started on a budget 
Private

Hey forum community :mrgreen:

Since a lot of guys in our club are playing FoW (1780 points, LW exclusively) and I really enjoy it's hobby aspect, I'd like to get myself a starting army.

To get things straigt at the beginning, my main focus will be style over substance, so I'll mainly pick units by optic and less by rules. However if I can have both, I won't say no :D

Also I'm not much of a fan of the Battlefront models, therefore I'd prefer sticking to the available PSC options.

Since I spend a lot on various other systems too, I'd like to get started slowly and not spend to much straight away. I'm thinking about something like 100-200€ total.

So long story short, I clicked myself through a few list builders and came up with these here:

Quote:

Soviet Guards Tankovy (Guards)
Tank Company, from Red Bear, page 66

Compulsory Gvardeyskiy Tankovy Batalon HQ (Guards) (p.67) - CinC T-34/85 obr 1943 (80 pts)

Compulsory Gvardeyskiy Tankovy Company (Guards) (p.68) - Command T-34/85 obr 1943, 9x T-34/85 obr 1943 (640 pts)
- Komissar Dedov (take over one tank) (70 pts)

Compulsory Gvardeyskiy Tankovy Company (Guards) (p.68) - Command T-34/85 obr 1943, 7x T-34/85 obr 1943 (555 pts)

Spetsnaz Platoon (p.75) - Command SMG, 2x SMG, 2x Captured Sd Kfz 251 half-track (100 pts)

Guards Rocket Mortar Battalion (p.140) - Command Rifle, Observer Rifle, 3-ton truck, 8x BM-31-12 Katyusha (305 pts)
- 6x Extra Crew (30 pts)

1780 Points, 4 Platoons

While there are cheaper lists, this one seems to be a nice mix between budget, style and playability ... tbh the list got influenced a lot by the advice from a friend ;)

The other list I considered would be something german:

Quote:

German Schwere Panzer
Tank Company, from Grey Wolf, page 70

Schwere Panzer Company HQ (p.71) - CinC Tiger I E, 2iC Tiger I E (430 pts)

Compulsory Schwere Panzer Platoon (p.71) - Command Tiger I E, 2x Tiger I E (645 pts)

Compulsory Schwere Panzer Platoon (p.71) - Command Tiger I E, Tiger I E (430 pts)

Schwere Panzer Armoured Scout Platoon (p.25) - Command MG, 2x MG, 3x Sd Kfz 251/1 half-track (105 pts)

Gepanzerte Panzergrenadier Platoon (p.77) - Command MG, Sd Kfz 251/1 half-track, 4x MG, 2x Sd Kfz 251/1 half-track (155 pts)

1765 Points, 4 Platoons

Well ... probably not the most competitive list I guess. However when looking at germans, I mostly like their heavy tanks like tiger and panther as well as their half tracks and infantry. Thats basically it, so not much to use here :mrgreen:

I considered maybe some mechanized army with lots of (maybe even exclusively) halftracks and a few heavy tanks or artillery to support them, but tbh I have no idea if there's such a list around. If so it would be great if someone could tell ;)

So far so good, I'd really appreciate it if I could get some input on these lists or if there are any other budget friendly, PSC exclusively lists around that I probably have missed.

Thanks a lot, cheers! :mrgreen:

Thu Mar 10, 2016 10:48 am
First Sergeant

Quote:

Soviet Guards Tankovy (Guards)
Tank Company, from Red Bear, page 66

Compulsory Gvardeyskiy Tankovy Batalon HQ (Guards) (p.67) - CinC T-34/85 obr 1943 (80 pts)

Compulsory Gvardeyskiy Tankovy Company (Guards) (p.68) - Command T-34/85 obr 1943, 9x T-34/85 obr 1943 (640 pts)

Compulsory Gvardeyskiy Tankovy Company (Guards) (p.68) - Command T-34/85 obr 1943, 7x T-34/85 obr 1943 (555 pts)

Spetsnaz Platoon (p.75) - Command SMG, 2x SMG, 2x Captured Sd Kfz 251 half-track (100 pts)

Guards Rocket Mortar Battalion (p.140) - Command Rifle, Observer Rifle, 3-ton truck, 8x BM-31-12 Katyusha (305 pts)
- 6x Extra Crew (30 pts)

1780 Points, 4 Platoons

TBH unless you will be up against lots of infantry I would swap the Katyushas for 120 mm mortars . As at the end of the they are unarmoured and have no direct fire to protect them selves with , so would be an easy kill for an armoured car bum rush to the back field . :(

Would this fit your budget ?

Soviet Guards Tankovy (Guards) , from Red Bear

Compulsory Gvardeyskiy Tankovy Batalon HQ (Guards) - CinC T-34/85 obr 1943 (80 pts)

Compulsory Gvardeyskiy Tankovy Company (Guards) - 9x T-34/85 obr 1943 (600 pts)

Compulsory Gvardeyskiy Tankovy Company (Guards) - 8x T-34/85 obr 1943 (555 pts)

Motorised Anti-tank Company (Guards) - Command Rifle, 4x 45mm obr 1942 gun (85 pts)

Anti-aircraft Platoon (Guards) - 3x ZSU M17 MGMC (Quad .50cal) (120 pts)

Spetsnaz Platoon - Command SMG, 2x SMG, 2x Captured half-track (100 pts)

Heavy Mortar Company (Guards) - Command Rifle, 6x 120-PM-38 mortar (155 pts)
- Observer Rifle (15 pts)

1780 Points, 6 Platoons

LES
PS: the extra crew is all or none . :shock:

Thu Mar 10, 2016 6:03 pm
Private First Class

Our best Russian player forgoes the mortars and just brings tanks and SUs with Recce, sometimes planes depending on the points. The other thing you need with this list is a lot of D6s. For his "in your face style" it works exceedingly well.

Thu Mar 17, 2016 1:22 pm
Private

Here's a PSC centric list:

HQ: T-34/85
Guards Tankovy Company: T-34/85x9
Guards Tankovy Company: T-34/85x5
Decoy Tank Platoon: Panther A x3
Heavy Mortar Platoon: Mortars x4, Observer
Limited IL-2 Tip 3M
Total: 1755

First the budget aspect: PSC T-34s come 5 to a box, you're bringing 15, so no wastage. The Panthers come 5 to a box, but if you're considering a German force (or LW Hungarians), leftovers aren't the end of the world. Alternatively, you can purchase the single sprues. The Heavy Mortar platoon can be built from the PSC Russian Heavy weapons box. You'll have some leftover medium and light mortars, HMGs and ATRs. These are all useful units and appear from EW thru LW, so I'd just hang onto them. The PSC Box is about the same price as the BF Heavy Mortar company, but has all the extra stuff I mentioned. You should be able to fashion the command and observer teams from the extra dudes on the sprues. The IL-2 you can get from Zvezda, super cheap.
Now for how to play. You're Always Attacks. Use the Decoy tanks to infiltrate the large company with the commander attached. Now you've got 13 Tanks way closer to the enemy than he expected. Pin with those mortars and their excellent range (56") and stick the knife in fast. Use the small platoon to cover a flank for your big platoon and shoot up incoming reserves. No H+C on the decoy tanks is pretty sweet also. This list is a one trick pony, but it's a hell of a trick.

Fri May 06, 2016 4:57 am
Staff Sergeant

The cheapest list will inevitably be the one you enjoy the most.

Models, even BFs, are actually dirt cheap on a value basis. (Dollars per hour of fun)

Sat May 14, 2016 4:40 am
Private

UndergroundWarren wrote:
The cheapest list will inevitably be the one you enjoy the most.

Models, even BFs, are actually dirt cheap on a value basis. (Dollars per hour of fun)

This is doubly true if you consider assembly and painting to be entertainment.

Sat May 14, 2016 5:12 am
Sergeant

And time spent thinking about lists and tactics to use against various opponents and in various missions.

Also, you can sometimes get a really good deal on eBay on a whole army. Search "flames of war" and "army" or "lot." Those kind of packages can be a good value, especially when you're starting out and don't already have a lot of models. I've picked up several armies that way on the cheap, as much as 75% off list.

Tue May 17, 2016 4:00 pm
Corporal

You need to know about Zvezda Art of Tactic models!

They are putting out a wave of Soviet and German heavies this year. Recent releases: both T-34s (in addition to their older 1940 model), SU-100, SU-152, Ferdinand (easily converts to Elefant: add a bow MG). Expected: Konigstiger, IS-2, and others.

For really getting the most out of Soviet armor, cash-wise, do like I did and use your spare T-34 tracks from the PSC kits on the spare upper hulls of BF's SU-85/100 kit.

If you're going armor + very limited infantry, check Peter Pig, who sells nice figures 8 per pack, or two mortars/pack.

Wed Jun 29, 2016 3:32 am
Staff Sergeant

Used BF models are often cheaper, and don't carry the stigma of zvezda.

The used market has gotten huge around here. The players with big collections are moving the old out to get TY or other systems. Some players with smaller collections are just getting out of FoW, too.

I'm would connect with your own group as well as groups in neighboring areas looking for a deal.

Thu Jun 30, 2016 7:23 am
Sergeant

I do not have local store. I find deals on Amazon and on Ebay. I have found some awesome deals btw. Undergoing Warren is correct in a way, there are guys that dump older stuff but it is not always for a new system. Like me, there are many that sell older stuff because our painting skills have improved and our older stuff seems subpar next to our latest works.

Thu Jun 30, 2016 9:13 pm
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]