View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:13 am

Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ] 
US MW Nationals List 
Captain

I ran a similar list at a practice tournament and did fairly well with it. This version dropped some armored cars, 3" mortars, and one 6pdr to get in the Hurricanes. I had to give up the guns but wanted something that had the potential strike deep early.

Motor Company - B Company, 2nd Battalion , King’s Royal Rifle Corps, 7th Motor Brigade, 1st Armoured Division
HQ 2 x SMLE 2
Combat 4 x Bren, 1 x Lt.Mtr, 1 x ATR 8
Combat 3 x 6pdr 9
Combat 3 x UC 2
Support 4 x 25pdr 14
Support Hurricane 9
Formation Total 44

Crusader Squadron - A Squadron, 2nd Dragoon Guards "Bays", 2nd Armoured Brigade, 1st Armoured Division
HQ 2 x Crusader II, 2 x Crusdaer CS 7
Combat 2 x Crusader II, 1 x Crusader III 6
Formation Total 31

Force Total 75

Fri Jul 07, 2017 1:44 am
Profile WWW
First Sergeant

Interesting. Overall I am sure it is a good list. My own person would do stylistic changes.

I would drop the plane to afford a 4th 6pr. Either drop the 4th infantry stand (not a good idea) or that last Crusader III to get the points for portees. Overall a honey OP would be nice, but that would mean a bigger change and it is not worth it.

Crusader Squadron - A Squadron, 2nd Dragoon Guards "Bays", 2nd Armoured Brigade, 1st Armoured Division
However the motor platoon in September 7 later 1942 (due to the Crusader III) is 9th Bn Yorkshire Dragoons Regiment (Queens Own).

Remember, in 1942, there was no commingling, so the 2nd Battalion, King’s Royal Rifle Corps, 7th Motor Brigade would not have had support from the 2nd BDE.

Fri Jul 07, 2017 1:18 pm
Captain

SECfootball wrote:
However the motor platoon in September 7 later 1942 (due to the Crusader III) is 9th Bn Yorkshire Dragoons Regiment (Queens Own).

Remember, in 1942, there was no commingling, so the 2nd Battalion, King’s Royal Rifle Corps, 7th Motor Brigade would not have had support from the 2nd BDE.

That's an easy text change I can make. I have to go with A Sqdn, Bays due to the decal option I have currently available and wanting to do something other than 7th Armoured units. Plus like the black camo! :) I did not know the 2nd Brigade would have its own "organic" infantry. I thought all infantry came from the Motor Brigade.

Was there a specific company from the is 9th Bn Yorkshire Dragoons Regiment (Queens Own) that worked with the Bays routinely?

SECfootball wrote:
I would drop the plane to afford a 4th 6pr. Either drop the 4th infantry stand (not a good idea) or that last Crusader III to get the points for portees. Overall a honey OP would be nice, but that would mean a bigger change and it is not worth it.

Yes....I really, really hate to give up that 4th 6pdr. The Portee Command Card makes them so susceptible to MG/Rifles/Bombardments that I'm a little leery of using them. Too bad as I have the models for them! My Crusader models also have the 2pdr/6pr/CS mix already set.

Planes are dicey. They can do great or go bust. So I realize I'm gambling with them especially when I did fine without them in our prior MW practice tournament.

Appreciate the advice and historical corrections.

Fri Jul 07, 2017 2:24 pm
Profile WWW
First Sergeant

Not sure if you have been here: http://www.niehorster.org/017_britain/4 ... rm_01.html

Basically it is set up like the LW Armoured Div. prior to 1 SEP 44. The Division has 2 combat Bdes, one tank & one infantry. In 1944 they were the lorried infantry, in 1942, they were called motor. I really do not know what company they might be for A squadron. I know LW history a little bit better. The 9YD is a very recent attachment. During the early summer, they had a different unit. To be honest, it might have been the 2KRRC. At el alamein, the 2KRRC AFVs had the green AOS and the 9YD was red.

I forgot but at the Snipe, the 2KRRC did work with A squadron. http://www.qdg.org.uk/pages/WW2-Part-3-109.php

The Bays are my goto desert BDE and I have all of my Desert AFVs tied to them. See here (http://www.qdg.org.uk/pages/WW2-Part-3-109.php) for B&W pics history. The Bays are tied by tradition to the KDG which is a 7AD recce unit.

Fri Jul 07, 2017 6:49 pm
Captain

Thank you so much for the links and extra research. The history is such a big reason why I love this game and period. Always fascinated when I learn new things like that the 2nd Armoured Brigade even had an organic motor infantry battalion. I always thought those were cross attached from the Motor Brigade.

SECfootball wrote:
Not sure if you have been here: http://www.niehorster.org/017_britain/4 ... rm_01.html
Basically it is set up like the LW Armoured Div. prior to 1 SEP 44. The Division has 2 combat Bdes, one tank & one infantry. In 1944 they were the lorried infantry, in 1942, they were called motor. I really do not know what company they might be for A squadron. I know LW history a little bit better. The 9YD is a very recent attachment. During the early summer, they had a different unit. To be honest, it might have been the 2KRRC. At el alamein, the 2KRRC AFVs had the green AOS and the 9YD was red.

Do you know what the numbers were for the AOS for each? That might dictate which unit I model. I have plenty of red & green AOS decals. These would be going on my UC only for the moment. With instant death for passengers on a KO'd transport in MW, I'm not too eager to add trucks anytime soon.

SECfootball wrote:
The Bays are my goto desert BDE and I have all of my Desert AFVs tied to them. See here (http://www.qdg.org.uk/pages/WW2-Part-3-109.php) for B&W pics history. The Bays are tied by tradition to the KDG which is a 7AD recce unit.

I guess they will be my "Go To" unit now as well. I thought the "Desert Rats" might be a little too popular these days and like the Rhino logo of the 1st Armoured. Then started looking at the units in the Brigade. Thought I might go with the 10th Hussars initially, but decals I had on hand made the Bays a better choice.

Do you have any images of C Squadron of the Bays with Grant tanks? I've found a few Bays Shermans on google etc that seem to retain the same kind of sand & black camo of the Crusaders. I'd assume the Grants being between the two followed suit, but then I've seen a lot of Grant's in the desert with no camo and no markings. I think these may have been rushed to the front and had no time to get all done up.

Fri Jul 07, 2017 7:22 pm
Profile WWW
First Sergeant

@@Do you have any images of C Squadron of the Bays with Grant tanks?

Pics from the referenced site and the IWM site. I no longer have access to old photos. The above referenced site has a few parts/pages of history so click on the part before the link I gave you. IWM is less user friendly but searching there should assist you.

@@Do you know what the numbers were for the AOS for each?
They have the same numbering as the desert Rats and any other MW desert Bde. This is not the right numbering, but the same template to use: http://www.flamesofwar.com/Default.aspx ... art_id=325

I do not remember the numbers because I am just not playing enough MW games.
Upon some research with google.

3 Armoured Regiments - 40,86,67 Red
Armd Division Motor Battalions - 60 Red

3 Infantry Battalions - 84,75,92 Green (This should be regt.)
or
Infantry Battalions – Armd Divn - 65,68,63 Green (not sure)

Source is: http://theminiaturespage.com/boards/msg.mv?id=249164

Mon Jul 10, 2017 6:37 pm
Captain

I went with Green "75" for the UCs. It was that or Red 60's that the new UCs come with. I went with Green 75 as I had it and it was on your source.

Hope to post a picture of the force tomorrow.

Tue Jul 11, 2017 3:26 am
Profile WWW
First Sergeant

Iron-Tom wrote:
I went with Green "75" for the UCs. It was that or Red 60's that the new UCs come with. I went with Green 75 as I had it and it was on your source.

Hope to post a picture of the force tomorrow.

The motor inf in the 2nd armoured BDE would be a red 60.

Green 75 would be for an actual infantry division. I am not sure, at the very least, green is the color for the 7th Motor inf Bde.

Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:51 pm
Captain

Guess I could switch the UCs back to Red 40's. I have the decals and it would just take a minute,

Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:25 pm
Profile WWW
First Sergeant

Everyone in a Brigade would contain the same color as the AOS color denotes the Brigade. The number portion determines which regiment or battalion it is.

Tue Jul 11, 2017 4:46 pm
Captain

Well...what I got is what I got! I wanted to add pennants and fix the UC AoS, but just ran out of time.

Last check before heading out to Historicon tomorrow!

Attachments:
IMG_4120.JPG
IMG_4120.JPG
IMG_4120.JPG [ 135.49 KiB | Viewed 496 times ]
Wed Jul 12, 2017 3:19 am
Profile WWW
First Sergeant

Good luck and enjoy the drive across the mountains.

Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:45 pm
Captain

Thanks!

Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:58 pm
Profile WWW
Captain

Had a great time at the US MW Nationals. I went 3-3, 6-3, 6-3, 3-4 and ended up 7th out of 34. I played Red vs. Blue the whole time which was great.

Round one was encounter vs Aufklarung and Panzer
Round two I defended in a Breakthrough vs Panzer
Round three vs Panzer in Dust-Up
Round four vs. Aufklarung and Infantry

I was really surprised by how effective the Aufklarungs were. The top 5 spots were all Germans, which was also a surprise. I used no Command Cards. The only Cards I faced were two Aufklarung Formation cards, a German 25pdr conversion Card, and a 1pt one time use "rerolls any die" card. The later never got played as my opponent forgot to use it!

Having Pete S. come over and chat with me, even if it was durIn my 3rd game, was also a highlight of the event! The only negative for me was playing "Annihilation" in the last round. There was just no way my opponent and I were going to break two formations to win it in 2 hours. Speaking of formation breaks, my Motor Co was broken in game 1 and I came close to breaking my opponents Panzer Ko, and I broke my opponents force in game three.

Best part for me was winning "Best Painted!" I was told I won it by 10 votes which really means a lot to me! (Edit: Found out I won it with ten votes. The next two closest had 8 and 4 votes each)

Sun Jul 16, 2017 1:09 pm
Profile WWW
First Sergeant

Congrats.

Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:00 pm
Private

thanks for the AAR. Your army looks really great. The award is well deserved.

Is there some sort of in dept or collected results MW Nationals analysis somewhere by someone from a "V4 changes and expectations" perspective?

Last edited by cogetama on Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Jul 23, 2017 4:35 pm
Captain

Thanks much!. Chris Fretts and I are currently working together on such an article that hopefully will be published between the 31st and August 7th.

Sun Jul 23, 2017 4:38 pm
Profile WWW
Private

Looking forward to it.

Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:50 pm
Reply to topic   [ 18 posts ]