View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:03 am

Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
Team Yankee 100pts - West Germans 
Corporal

Having only gotten 6 games under my belt, I'm still figuring out what works and what doesn't. My friend Matt Varnish murdered my Gephardts and me, but I know those are good. I also love the infantry platoons....so I had this as an idea.

HQ - 1 Panzergrenadier HQ team - 1 pts

1. Full Panzer Grens -7pts

2. Full Panzer Grens -7pts

3. Full Panzer Grens -7pts

4. 3x Jaguar 1s - 6pts

5. 6x Gephardts -15 pts

Fligerfaust Gruppen X6 = 6 pts. (attachment)

HQ 1 Panzergrenadier HQ team - 1 pts

Full Grens - 7pts

2. Full Grens - 7 pts

3. Full Grens - 7 pts.

4. 3X Jaguar 1s - 6pts

5. 6X Gephardts - 15 pts

4X tornado Strike Flight - 8pts

11 platoons

6 stands of infantry means 12 Milan shots, and the Jaguar 1s stay on in deep reserve missions
The Gephardts can shred BMPS and aircraft, and I have my own planes to strike stuff deep behind enemy lines once AA is gone.
This might have a bit of trouble attacking, but I think its a nightmare for tank Co's to face, with no really good targets for their big guns.

Thoughts?

Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:24 pm
Profile WWW
First Sergeant

How do you attack with this list? You glossed over that point saying it might be a bit of trouble.

As for tank companies, Dash up to your line be within 8" and no worry about Milans.

You might be able to get a 3rd formation. Drop the air & Fligerfaust, reorder the infantry platoons and you should be able to add 4 more Gephardts.

Tue Mar 28, 2017 3:13 pm
Corporal

I forgot the Milans have a minimum range of 8. they also can't fire while pinned I suspect? since their moving ROF is -.

I was tempted to try out some of the Leo1s, but I love the Jaguar models and wanted to see how I could incorporate them.

The little HOT missile Helos are also cool, but too expensive for me I think. I'll keep fiddling and see what I can come up with. Thanks for the advice!

Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:56 pm
Profile WWW
Corporal

Ok round 2...I think I've got something more aggressive this time,

Formation #1 - Marder Panzergrenadier Kompanie

HQ - 1 pt

Full Panzer Grens - 7 pts

Full Panzer Grens - 7 pts

3x Leo 2s - 33 pts

6 gepards - 15pts
6 Fliegerfaust Gruppen - 6 pts

Formation #2 - Afrakalungs Kompanie

HQ - 1 Leo 1 - 3 pts

2 Luchs - 1 pt

2 Luchs - 1 pt

3x Leo 1s - 9 pts

3x Leo 1s - 9 pts

Support -
4x LARS w Minelets (7 pts)
1 OP M113 - 1 pt

Thoughts?

The Leo 1s are a bit hard to find, it appears Battlefront didn't make a bunch of them,

I have another variant of this where I ditch the Gepards for Rolands (4 of them) and take 2 platoons of Jaguar 1s

I think this would be a fun aggressive list. Good at taking out small vehicles, some artillery to dig out units or drop mines, and enough firepower and platoons to defend in a mission with reserves

Tue May 16, 2017 6:14 pm
Profile WWW
First Sergeant

"The Leo 1s are a bit hard to find, it appears Battlefront didn't make a bunch of them," They seem to be out there, the one problem I see is that you have 7 so that means you buy 3 boxes and not use the 2 of individual tanks. From a monetary POV, seems bit pricey. If you have not purchased the Fliegerfaust Gruppe, you could have a platoon of 2 so as to not have useless tanks never be used.

"6 gepards - 15pts
6 Fliegerfaust Gruppen - 6 pts"

With no change, you could split this up between the 2 formations. Assuming you change the Afrakalungs to a Leo 1 company. The splitting allows you to have more platoons which means the OP is not needed (LARS is 3+ skill to start with) .

If you want rolands, dropping the OP and removing 2 Gepards results in 6 points which gives you 4 rolands. I have found. my Fliegerfaust Gruppe biggest contribution is being the main OP.

Wed May 17, 2017 12:09 pm
Corporal

So I ordered the panzertruppen supplement a month ago for my birthday, assuming i would get here in time for me to work with it....it hasn't shipped yet. As it stands I think the above list works out to be 9 platoons. That means, since the reserve rules haven't gone into V4 territory and aren' based on percentages, I'd have to hold 5 in reserve. So your idea to fiddle with it and lose the OP to squeeze in more tanks is a good one for sure.

It hadn't occurred to me that the Fliegerfaust gruppe would make a good OP unit! Very clever! I know the Rolands have no other function than shooting down aircraft, which makes the Gepards so tempting, despite their cost.

I played 3 test games against an east German T55 horde, and couldn't make a go of it. When I had more Leo2s in the list, I just didn't have enough shots downrange to stop the horde. But I think the Gepards wouldn't help with that, since their AT isn't enough to stop a T55. More Leo1s though....the could do the job.

I already bought everything up on the list with the exception of the Leo1s, I snagged one box, but had to find another supplier for the other 2 boxes I was looking for. I did start checking ebay and amazon and found what I needed. Its a little frustrating that Battlefront is so slow to ship stuff. The last few times I ordered from them it got delayed. In one case it took 6 months to deliver a bag piper.

I also finished painting all the infantry in flecktarn camo yesterday, after about a month of work....whew. That was quite a job I made for myself.

Wed May 17, 2017 12:39 pm
Profile WWW
Sergeant

The WG PzGrens aren't dressed appropriately for flecktarn...;p

I feel ya on the Leo 1s. I was lucky what I got what I needed (13, have two left over). Funny how the cheapest vehicles in the game points wise are the most expensive $$$ wise, I see what they did there...Still haven't finished buying the models for a 100 point list because it's frankly ridiculously expensive.

I'm shooting for a Leo 1 force against a East German T-72 force, should be fun.

Wed May 17, 2017 8:03 pm
Corporal

Josh wrote:
The WG PzGrens aren't dressed appropriately for flecktarn...;p

I feel ya on the Leo 1s. I was lucky what I got what I needed (13, have two left over). Funny how the cheapest vehicles in the game points wise are the most expensive $$$ wise, I see what they did there...Still haven't finished buying the models for a 100 point list because it's frankly ridiculously expensive.

I'm shooting for a Leo 1 force against a East German T-72 force, should be fun.

Noooooo! It's too late! they are painted :)

To Quote Mitch, "Its a fictional "what if" Game, so I'll paint them how I want!" I wouldn't go so far as to do full hello Kitty Battle Fatigues, but I'm happy with how the flectarn turned out. I'll post some pics

I hear you on the cheapest vehicles being the most expensive game wise.

I played 4 practice games against different iterations of a T55 horde, and lost every time. I just didn't have enough shots to stop him. I feel like the Leo 1s are my only solution? What does your Leo 1 list look like? I also considered running the M113 Panzergrens since they can take an extra Milan Team, but already painted up all the marders...and didn't feel like painting more transports!

Thu May 18, 2017 1:45 pm
Profile WWW
First Sergeant

The West Germans were in transition in relation to paint. There was a mix of OD painted units and the Camo painted units.

Having bought 10 Leo2s, I painted 7 in camo and 3 in OD. I only had three Leo 1 and painted them in OD. I had a box of 4 M113 with 3 painted in Aussie green for Vietnam and one non built one. I took that un built one and made the OP with camo. Then PzTruppen showed up. I purchased some more M113 and camo painted them.

So now I have a true mix of OD & camo. I have even separated that out as different formations in a couple of games. One formation contains camo, the other is OD. One M113 platoon is camo the other OD.

Now for point: Because there are three Leo2s in OD, many times I proxy them as Leo1s. I am not sure if any one realizes I do that. Basically OD tanks are Leo1s and camo is leo2s. While there is a difference between the two, when painted so different no one notices.

You might want to try that as well if Leo1 are so hard to get.

Thu May 18, 2017 2:04 pm
Sergeant

It's only a superficial difference, by the time flecktarn was introduced in the early 90s, they also got rid of the camo netting and replaced it with flecktarn helmet covers...no biggie.

I was gonna run something like this, sorta just theoretical. Never have played a game and I doubt I'll finish buying all of this stuff. It's based on Panzer Brigade 35 from Panzer Division 12, based near my hometown.

Leopard 1 Panzer Kompanie HQ (p.4) - 1x Leopard 2 (3 pts)
Leopard 1 Panzer Zug (p.5) - 3x Leopard 1 (9 pts)
Jaguar 2 Jagdpanzer Zug (p.27) - 3x Jaguar 2 (5 pts)
Gepard Flakpanzer Batterie (p.32) - 6x Gepard (15 pts)
Luchs Spah Trupp (p.30) - 2x Luchs (1 pts)
Marder Panzergrenadier Kompanie HQ (p.25) - 1x G3 Rifle, 1x Marder (1 pts)
Marder Panzergrenadier Zug (p.26) - 3x G3 Rifle with Panzerfaust 44 anti-tank rocket, 2x Milan missile, 3x Marder (7 pts)
Marder Panzergrenadier Zug (p.26) - 3x G3 Rifle with Panzerfaust 44 anti-tank rocket, 2x Milan missile, 3x Marder (7 pts)
Jaguar 2 Jagdpanzer Zug (p.27) - 3x Jaguar 2 (5 pts)
Lars Raketenwerfer Batterie (p.34) - 4x LARS (6 pts)
- Arm all LARS with minelets (1 pts)
M113 OP (p.84) - 1x M113 OP (1 pts)
Roland Flakpanzer Batterie (p.34) - 4x Roland (6 pts)
Tornado Strike Flight (p.85) - 4x Tornado (8 pts)

100 Points

Not sure how it would do.

Thu May 18, 2017 2:04 pm
First Sergeant

"Not sure how it would do."

Unless you play against a strong MBT opponent, it should be fine.

"M113 OP (p.84) - 1x M113 OP (1 pts)" Seeing how you only have LARs arty, notr sure this is worth it. Becasuse the Luchs box gives you 4 vehicles, just swap the OP with another two Luchs vehicles.

Not sure you need 3 infantry platoons. Consider dropping one platoon for M109, but then again, maybe not? Or drop them for Fliegerfaust Gruppe.

Thu May 18, 2017 2:18 pm
Sergeant

I like the 'complete-ness' of the full companies. And yeah dropping the OP makes it unnecessary to pick up a single M113, so that's pretty efficient.

Just priced this out, almost $600...barf.

Fri May 19, 2017 2:31 pm
Corporal

SECfootball wrote:
The West Germans were in transition in relation to paint. There was a mix of OD painted units and the Camo painted units.

When I painted up the infantry, I gave some of them the flecktarn, and others the standard Green uniform, so it appeared as if their unit had not recieved all their fatigues, I really like the look of it that way, and think its a cool idea.

I think the adhoc nature of their redoing camo lends itself well to the camo scheme you propose. I always see the Leo2s available, so I might go that route(painting a different scheme and proxying them), especially if I wait another month and my order doesn't show up.

Fri May 19, 2017 2:51 pm
Profile WWW
Corporal

Josh wrote:
I like the 'complete-ness' of the full companies. And yeah dropping the OP makes it unnecessary to pick up a single M113, so that's pretty efficient.

Just priced this out, almost $600...barf.

Yeah, I looked at this and have everything...short of 1 more box of Leo1s (assuming the ones I ordered actually get here) I collected it by picking stuff up at flea market sales, waiting for some ebay stuff, and grabbing it where I could over the past few months. I like the list you put up. I think I would drop the OP as suggested and take another Luchs platoon, or swap out some of the Infantry for a fliegerfaust gruppe.

The Tornados are pretty nice. I used them a few times expected a dud...but they packed a good punch. They took out 4 AA assets and 6 Hinds as well as 3 platoons of T55 tanks in the 2 games I played. They were my MVP.

I really want to take the adorable Helos with the HOT missiles, but 16pts is pretty pricey for 4 shots.

Fri May 19, 2017 2:56 pm
Profile WWW
Sergeant

I've seen pictures of Bundeswehr infantry in a mix of uniforms; one guy in the old stuff and one guy in the flecktarn. Never mixed on individuals though. This was circa 1990.

In 1985, there were plenty of vehicles in olive drab cruising around in the Germany army. In fact, the Leo 1s weren't painted in the three tone camo unless they were 100 or so Leo 1A3s of the Panzer Divisions, or were complete factory overhauls. My old boss in Germany was a platoon leader in Leo 1s, I think he said they were OD. Really specific questions like that kinda surprise people, those aren't details that stick out to them. My coworker was a Panzergrenadier in the 90s, by then most things were brought up to the three tone camo standard. I was gonna paint all of the West German stuff I have in OD, maybe if I get some Leo 2s I might paint them in camo.

I figured the Tornados would be good for stuff like killing softer targets, like you're saying. Let's the MILANs, Jaguars, and Leo 1s pile on shots on other MBTs.

Fri May 19, 2017 5:45 pm
Reply to topic   [ 15 posts ]