View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Jun 25, 2017 3:01 am

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
Team Yankee - Flecktarn Camo Question 
Corporal

So Mitch's article inspired me. I never wanted to paint SS Oakleaf camo, because of the number of stands, and because I worried I didn't have the skill to pull it off.

But team Yankee's Germans come in smaller platoons, and with fewer figs. So I want to try it for my West Germans. If I have the Whole set of Paints from FOW, as well as some others, what colors would work best? It seemed Mitch wasn't happy completely with how they came out. Was that due to an overly dark wash? or should I choose brighter colors than he did?

Anyone have any other advice on painting this kind of detailed Camo?

Wed Feb 08, 2017 3:04 pm
Profile WWW
Sergeant

Flecktarn is difficult in 15mm. The original flecktarn has five colors, most of them are dark. From a distance, flecktarn looks dark, it probably would at this small of a scale as well no matter what you do. It does have the tendency to fade a little from use. The Bundeswehr also introduced helmet covers, so the netting on BF's figs might look a little odd. I have seen pictures from 1989-1990 where two guys are next to each other, with one wearing the old mouse grey uniform, and one wearing the new flecktarn uniform, so it's plausible to mix elements like helmet covers and such.

You should probably go with lighter colors, and/or make the first color the brightest one so the following color splotches have some contrast with it. A good base color might be Luftwaffe Camo Green, and work up from there.

Wed Feb 08, 2017 3:16 pm
Private

This picture might be helpful:
https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Datei:Flecktarn.jpg

German military started issuing "Flecktarn" in February 1991, but many units didn´t receive their Flecktarn uniforms until mid-late 90s. Also, the old uniforms were still in use long after that and were gradually replaced.
I served from 96 to 97, and for our first months of basic training, we still had the old olive green uniforms. Friends of mine serving in other units in the mid 90s didn´t receive Flecktarn at all.
The comment about the helmet cover is accurate. We still had the old uniform but "Flecktarn" helmet covers as these were probably replaced earlier.
Also, if I remember correctly, we already had Flecktarn winter jackets together with the old olive uniforms. So, a mix wasn´t uncommon. Although you wouldn´t find someone with Flecktarn pants and an olive green jacket.

Wed Feb 08, 2017 3:54 pm
Corporal

Very helpful, thanks to both of you, I'll post some pictures when I finish so you can see how I did.

Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:01 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]