View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:55 pm

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
Washes 
Sergeant

Quick question. I am painting up 9 T 34/85s for a hero company list and I am about to pin wash. Normally, I use black wash by GW. However, I have a bunch of oil paints and would like to try something different. Does any use a dark brown on green vehicles? I am thinking of using a burnt umber wash. Also, if this has any bearing on wash colors, I am keeping the weathering to a minimum as I want the tanks to have newer to the battlefield appearance. Any opinions will be greatly appreciated.

Thu Nov 17, 2016 1:35 am
Corporal

I've done a sepia wash on green tanks before, as well as the Devlan mud(agrax Earthshade) before. I find the Earthshade has to be watered down a bit or its too dark. but the brown is easier to layer on, and gives it a slight red hue. I like the look. But I usually slop it on instead of doing the pinwash, so you are a far more patient man than me.

Thu Nov 17, 2016 5:06 pm
Profile WWW
Technical Sergeant

Are you going to gloss varnish first?

Thu Nov 17, 2016 5:15 pm
Profile WWW
Sergeant

Captainecho - I think, based on your experience, I am going to use a dark brown pin wash.

Snafu - Yes models are currently gloss coated waiting for me to pin wash them.

I have spent a lot of time on them so far and was looking to change up a few things but a little hesitant. Especially with brown washes and then weathering lightly with oils. I have not tried this method yet. But some of the modelers out there have done some awesome work with oils.

I can always strip them and start over.

Thank you

Fri Nov 18, 2016 6:42 am
First Sergeant

How did they turn out?

Fri Dec 09, 2016 9:51 pm
Profile WWW
Sergeant

Webgriffin - I used my GW wash because the oil wash was drying a very light gray color. I believe it was due to the cheap oil paints. It did run nicely into the seems and crevices without leaving water lines. I might have to try a higher end brand next time.

However, using yellow, blue, and green oil paint to add depth to the basic Russian green was a pain but worth it. It really makes the model more vibrant. It is hard to explain. The color looks richer than acrylics alone.

Thu Dec 15, 2016 1:01 am
Sergeant

You are all more patient than I am. I've always painted my Soviet vehicles green and left it at that. Decided to try the Vallejo
"Weathering for Green Vehicles" set and am amazed what a difference a little extra effort makes. Recently used it on a Light Tankovy force of over a hundred vehicles.
[$15 USD for the set but in the US use a Hobby Lobby coupon to get it at 40% off.]

Mon Dec 19, 2016 3:10 pm
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]