View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:44 am

Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Dano903 in 15mm 
Staff Sergeant

I was doing some 15mm by request. I'll post a tutorial on the bridge and walls later this week. very simple construction using floor tile. one note: the Stuart was painted by Walter Moore. The hedgehogs are loose by request for a d-day board. a few more details and flocking to add.

the hedgehogs are scratch built using some "L" styrenes. For about 60-90 cents, you'll get 3-4 hedges hogs from the strip depending on the length of each leg. a hobby knife will give you some nice detail.

Mon May 05, 2014 7:04 am
Staff Sergeant

close enough to stick a fork in them. a collection of some 15mm-ish scratch built walls. these are about 90% completed. Stuart painted by Walter Moore...infantry by myself.

Mon May 12, 2014 7:29 am
Staff Sergeant

this is V3 of the walls with some added roads. The roads were from a brick mold from the Train store, and the walls are the floor tile material I love to use so much. I can do a tutorial on the walls and/or send a small kit- just cover shipping cost +$2. I'm buying some cows in bulk and will offer them here for about 50 cents each. they're due in about 10 days. The roads are a floor tile base, brown washed on the roads, and dried brushed for color. the brown is an odd color, but I wanted something brighter than the standard gray. The roads are 3" wide, and 8" long. I'm planning a trip next month to Waterloo for June 6. This set (about 35 pieces) will be on Ebay to help fund my trip. Again, if you purchase something from me via Ebay (aam1234d), I'll include some extra pieces(just let me know who you are), but I should have another set ready by mid June if someone is interested in one. Colors, dims, and graffiti are optional.

Fri May 16, 2014 8:46 pm
Staff Sergeant

I build for a few gaming systems, but the desert style hill is a newer item for me. It's a masonite base, blue closed cell foam, paint, and a bit of flocking. The rock looking pieces are floor tile. it makes for an interesting piece. The Stuart is painted by Walter Moore (thank you), and the MG base by myself. I'll probably add a little brush, but this is about 90% completed. The 3" hex pieces are for Axis and Allies minis

questions comments, suggestions?

Wed May 21, 2014 8:04 am
Corporal

Regarding your desert hills, just hit them with a hammer to fracture the top. If you hit so hard you smash in a circle, that is too hard. If you're not cracking the surface, you're not hitting hard enough. Sounds silly, but the results are very good.

I wrote a tutorial over Terragenesis: http://www.terragenesis.co.uk/forum/vie ... 08lp=88671

Next, bring out a hatchet, hold the blade horizontally, and lightly tap the edges of your foam. This will will create a stratified look.
(Example, also on Terragenesis: http://www.terragenesis.co.uk/competiti ... php?id=590 )

Wed May 21, 2014 1:23 pm
Staff Sergeant

WOW! that's some great looking desert hills! I will give that a try. The hammer and hatchet really bring out some texture. Thanks for the links!!!

first note... it's important to glue first, let dry...then hammer! :)

second note...how does the square fractures occur on the top surface? Are you using a hammer and sharp object?

thanks!

Wed May 21, 2014 2:38 pm
Corporal

All hammering with just an hammer. The upper surface is just hit many, many times. This fractures the surface. I find a slight angle and tiny bit of side-to-side shearing in the strike helps and then hit bit harder once the surface is cracked and round the edges.

Thu May 22, 2014 3:46 am
Staff Sergeant

the first revised desert pieces are 95% completed;

Thu May 22, 2014 5:21 am
Staff Sergeant

I like the top texture on the three pieces on the right. I still need to work on roughing it up a bit more, then work on the edges. I based the pieces with a mixture of wood glue, water, and black paint. This seems to help the surface against chipping. Then another 4-5 colors to paint the surfaces.... brown, golden brown, fawn, cream and vanilla- darker to lighter. More work to do with this! thanks again for the link and the advise!

Thu May 22, 2014 7:47 am
First Sergeant

I am not positive but i thinks those "steel" hedgehogs are about 2-3 times to big. I think they are designed to stop people.

Thu May 22, 2014 11:44 am
Staff Sergeant

SECfootball wrote:
I am not positive but i thinks those "steel" hedgehogs are about 2-3 times to big. I think they are designed to stop people.

which ones? in the last pix, those were suppose to be tents from the movie Lawrence of Arabia- Attack on Aqaba. In the first set of pixs, I thought those were decently scaled.

Thu May 22, 2014 3:32 pm
First Sergeant

The first 3 pics. That look like they are the same size as the stuart.

Thu May 22, 2014 5:33 pm
Corporal

Ok, you rule!

Thu May 22, 2014 7:47 pm
Private

They look great Dano!

Thu May 22, 2014 10:53 pm
Staff Sergeant

this project is for a convention I'm attending next week. The map I commissioned for an urban battle ground. I thought this would be a nice filler for the setting. The walls are scratch built, and made to resemble the Berlin wall with the tube like structure on top, and the wired walls with the "Y" holders. This is a lot of work, but almost completed. The Stuart was painted by Walter Moore- however, the placement of the piece doesn't indicate an endorsement of my work. I just really like that tank! The walls are made from floor tile, and the tube like structure made out of a straw. The wall structure show the tubes added in sections. I took a straw, sanded it, and cut it into sections. Once I knew the length of the section I needed, I would add a bead of tacky glue, spread the straw open and wrap it over the top of the wall. I didn't want to use this material, but I didn't have much time to find something else. The walls are mounted on a 8x3/4" Masonite strip(professionally cut. I commissioned the cut strips for accuracy, and time savings. The tank obstacles are on 8x1" strips. place two together for a tank obstacle, or use them as a single line for some options. Some more work to go, and off to Waterloo for a weekend of gaming for the 70th anniversary of D-day.
I think the map will work for several gaming systems, with hexes, and without hexes. I need to make some adjustments to the map, and I'll offer some to the forum if there's some interest. The map includes a "dock" setting, and I'm modeling some features for that. The Ramagen Bridge may play apart with this map.

questions, comments(some) suggestions?

thank you for your time!

Mon Jun 02, 2014 5:57 am
Staff Sergeant

completed tank obstacles. I use at least three flocking materials for everything I do. this is a mixture of desert sand, rock, and cement dust.

Mon Jun 02, 2014 6:56 am
Staff Sergeant

this is some work I've been able to do while trying to catch up on some project. The bridge is probably 70% of what I was aiming for. the painting didn't come out just right, and there are some details I need to clean-up. for game play, I think this would work. It's a single piece- all scratch built bridge. the bunkers and apart of a set for this bridge...maybe not the design for the setting at the Pegasus bridge, but they could represent the bunkers, and be used for other applications. The hex bunkers are based on a 4" hex, and made with a floor tile material. the covered bunker is made from a blue foam material for the ground/mounds and the floor tile material for the walls. I'm airbrushing (only) the vehicles for a friend, and he'll paint in the details.

Sun Jul 27, 2014 5:16 pm
Staff Sergeant

I've had this model since the original JR Miniatures closed for business. I actually called the owner, and requested 3 pieces after they closed. One went to New Zealand, the second one I'm working on now, and the third one was signed by the owner as the "last of this model" or Resin Gold. with that said...I'm going with some standard colors for his model. I'm about 50% completed with this model. I'll add some water accents, flocking, and perhaps a destroyed roof. I would like to make it a whole scene with other destroyed walls, and other features. I don't know when I will be able to paint another one like this, but I sure love this model. I will be offering this up a little later.

Sat Nov 01, 2014 7:13 pm
Staff Sergeant

this is the completed model. I added flocking, and some dust to the brick work. there is some water accents as well, but hard to see with these pixs.

here's the idea...expand the borders of the factory in one setting. I was going to extend the rail lines, add an oil tank storage area, wheat fields, and maybe something else. I really like this model, and I hope to do the expansion some justice.

this are some sample walls I'll use for the addition. preprimed stage.

Last edited by dano903 on Sun Nov 23, 2014 9:52 am, edited 2 times in total.

Sun Nov 02, 2014 4:29 am
Staff Sergeant

this is available in the buy/sell section.

Sun Nov 02, 2014 6:09 pm
Staff Sergeant

this is some work for 15mm destroyed city terrain. I'm working on some ideas for FoW, and will post some items soon. The German tanks and infantry stands are painted by Peter Wort, and destroyed terrain is all scratch built. questions, comments, suggestions?

Sat Nov 22, 2014 9:07 am
Staff Sergeant

these are the model sprues from Russia. these are about 1.5 sprues to make this med. sizes building. I added the brick veneer, and the interior wall brace and interior destroyed walls. they will be a little more detail to follow, but these pixs are pre-priming. I can paint tomorrow...EDIT later tonight!! I believe this will be an off-white with a red brick highlighted with some exterior exposed mortar and rubble.

Sat Nov 29, 2014 11:31 am
Captain

What company makes those plastic building sprues?

Sat Nov 29, 2014 8:57 pm
Profile WWW
Staff Sergeant

Iron-Tom wrote:
What company makes those plastic building sprues?

Tehnolog (and Pegasus Hobbies) this is the only information I have. Tehnolog is the main Russia company that will carry the product...however, I can't find any other dealers yet. he'll have some more stock by the end of the month... I'll get dibs on those, and post the link where to get them from.

Sun Nov 30, 2014 1:22 am
Staff Sergeant

this is more work on the MEGA project...something I've been working and thinking about for the last 2 months. first of all, the center piece is a JR Miniature Destroyed Factory model. the model itself is hand painted with some very nice detail, imo...by myself. I thought this model needed a little extra to it, so I'm scratch building some "additional" pieces to it. The main addition is a loading dock area bottom center. the track is the same size as the track inside the factory(HO scale). there's also a smaller track the same size as the tractor rails(N scale). I'm going to attempt to match the terrain texture of the factory to the upper left addition, and the bottom center will be more of an intact model with some of the extra features such as the pallets, crates and barrels.

Mon Dec 01, 2014 7:49 am
Reply to topic   [ 65 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next